Many people want to make New Year’s resolutions, typically including goals like losing weight, getting healthier, and general self-care. While it is great to make resolutions, statistics show that very few people actually stick to their New Year’s resolutions or feel successful by the end of the year. Here are some tips to ensure success with goals and general tips to make 2023 a healthy year.
Tips for Success with your resolutions:
- Set Realistic Goals: Oftentimes, people set themselves up for failure by making resolutions that are too difficult to attain. While it’s great to have ambition, be realistic about what you are able to achieve. For example, if you haven’t run since the timed mile in high school, maybe don’t make a goal to run a marathon by summer. Instead, make smaller goals that are attainable and try to gradually progress and update throughout the year.
- Less is More: Don’t make too many resolutions. It is tough to work on 10 things at once. Rather than making a huge list of resolutions, start out with a handful of resolutions. If you reach them sooner than expected, you can always add more!
- Write Goals Down: It’s difficult to accomplish all of your resolutions if you can’t remember what they are. Writing down your goal can help to keep you on track and remind you of your goals.
- Track Your Progress: You are much more likely to stick to a goal if you keep track of your activity/progress and can see improvements or setbacks. It can also show that you are actually improving when you don’t feel like you are making progress.
- Don’t Worry About the Calendar: Though we are talking about New Year’s resolutions and yearly goals, don’t get stuck in this schedule. If there is something you want to do, start right now! Don’t wait for the start of the year or say “I’ll start on Monday.”
Tips For a Healthy 2023:
- Get Moving: Evidence shows that increased daily steps are linked to decreased mortality rates and cardiovascular events. Shoot for 8,000-10,000 steps per day, or if this is too large of an increase from your current daily steps, aim to increase by 2,000 steps over time and continue to gradually progress.
- Drink Water: Proper hydration is key for pelvic floor health, general health, and energy levels. Also be mindful of how much caffeine, sugar, and carbonation you are drinking, and try to balance these drinks with water.
- Get Enough Sleep: Sleep is important for proper energy, alertness, and memory. Make sure to take care of your body and get enough rest.
If you find that during any of your activities, there is an increase or change in pain, consider seeking professional help from a physical therapist or doctor. Physical therapy is a great resource for managing multiple conditions throughout the body and can help improve overall posture and body awareness. For more information on how Action Potential can help you, request an appointment today or learn more about how we address pain.